Friday, June 20, 2014

A weekend in Beijing

The weekend after the conference I stayed in Beijing. This was my third visit to the Chinese capital and I actually liked it a lot better than I've done before. The first day I just walked around the city. Had been to the forbidden city so I was ok with just walking around it, taking in its grandness from outside. Started my walk in Tiananmen Square, the fourth largest city square in the world. On the one end there is the gate to the forbidden city, Tianmen, which is also where Mao proclaimed the founding of the People's Republic of China on 1 October 1949.



Walking around the Forbidden City towards Jin Shan Park to the north of the monuments, I saw several people fishing in the waters around the sights. Here is Forbidden City viewed from Jin Shan Park. 


On the way back to the hotel I saw street vendors selling birds... 



...and food. 


Before heading to my quarters I took a tour in the street market just off Wangfujing Street  called Wangfujing Snack Street where you can travel back in time to to feel the old Peking Food Street. They serve things that I have not seen anywhere else and that I would not taste. Someone told me that they are mostly for show - for tourists (but then that someone told me that some still eat that food...  


The day after I went to the summer palace and the wall. The wall was magnificent. I have been to Badaling before so this time I went to Mitanyu. Like last time I was speechless. 


No comments:

Post a Comment